How to Get That Water In! Tips for drinking more water.
We all know we should drink more water. It is good for our skin, complexions, aids in metabolism and it is a good way to flush our system of the bad and keep the good nutrients coming. However, given the choice who wants a boring glass of water when Starbucks is calling our name? Starbucks is much more tasty. However, our body needs water and up to 8 glasses a day is what is recommended. 8 glasses a day is not a be all and do all either. Some people need more but 8 is a daily goal. It is often hard to get in 8 glasses of water every day. Here are some ideas on how to boost your water consumption:
- Task reminders to your cell phone to remind you to drink a glass of water. You put a task in to remind you to take your lunch, go to the store and what to get at the store. Why not water consumption also? Sometimes it just takes a reminder to help you remember to get that water in.2. Enhance the flavor of your water with fruits and vegetables. Add flavor combinations to your water such as lemon and lime, strawberry and kiwi with lime. cucumber and mint.
4. Get a water bottle you really like and make it a habit of carrying it around like you do your cell phone.
5. Break the bottle addiction. Put in a water filtration system in your home. These systems vary in price and can be as easy as having a small system at your faucet. There are also pitchers that filter water that you fill with water from your faucet and it filters through as you pour the water. When water is clean and cold it is more enjoyable to drink.
7. Drink half and half with juice. If you just can’t quite stop cold turkey, half your water with juice to start and titrate down to full glasses of water.
8. Try drinking with a straw. Some studies suggest you drink more water through a straw.
9. Drink a glass of water upon waking or with your breakfast. Drink a glass on the drive into work.
10. Always have a cooled glass of water near your desk, TV, while cooking, driving etc.
It is important to drink enough water each day so that your body will not be out of balance. You can experience weight gain, fluid retention and stop wanting to drink if you get out of the water habit. Use these tips to help you along the way. It is important to try to get back in the water habit!